Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Issue #14 Special Issue #1

Every once in a while I'm so impressed with technology that I run across, that I have to share it with everyone right away. This happened to me yesterday while I was at Barnes & Noble buying some technical books in preparation for upcoming events this summer, and then again at Costco when I was shopping for luggage. Twice in one day. What a world.

So there I am standing in line at Barnes & Nobles with what felt like 80 pounds of books...all three of them, when I spy on the shelf behind the counter a rather large box with the words on it; "AR Drone 2.0". There is a picture on the box that looks like something out of "Avatar", so of course, I was interested! I asked the salesgirl how much it was and if I could please take a quick look at it, but inside I already knew that useful scientific instrument (not a toy) was coming home with me.


As you can see from the above picture, anybody with the maturity level of a 8 year old would instantly recognize the scientific potential for such a noble tool. After all...it shoots 1280 X 720 HD video and stills! Now, maybe your starting to understand why I'm not touting this as the obvious most-awesome-toy-ever, and instead thinking of it in the practical sense. Let's take a look inside the box...


Inside the box are the main body of the drone, the battery pack, battery charger, an outdoor hull, and (genius!) an indoor hull! If I ever move into the Taj Mahal I'll be able to video flying around indoors. Back to reality.

The AR Drone 2.0 is operated by either your iPhone, iPad, or iPod (also works with Android devices), boasts real-time video feedback and intuitive smart-phone control. Although it only has a range of 165 feet, it is quite useful for getting aerial pictures on-site instantly, and for scouting out an area before you approach it. Both are extremely valuable assets in the field, and the fact that you can now go into your local bookstore and buy a drone really is a sign of the times.

Parrot AR Drone 2.0 - Main Body

Of course, the battery has to be fully charged before you can operate the drone, so I won't be able to use any pictures or video from it this week to show you, but if you keep checking my Facebook page I'm sure I'll have some video up from it real soon! So now it's time to move on the second part of this special issue!

As some of you may know, I am going to be attending STAR Team Boot Camp in Wickenburg, Arizona in October. As a result, I figured it was about time to buy some new luggage. With all the trips out of town I'll be taking this summer, and then flying to Phoenix in October, I thought it would be best to give the 'ol backpack a rest. Besides, people seem to wonder about the machete. Anyway, as I made my way through all the tasty samples they have for people to try throughout Costco on my way to the luggage isle, I saw a display that actually made me stop in my tracks. It was the answer to every Field Investigator's anguished plea to the cosmos for some way to power all our gadgets in the field!



This wonderful piece of equipment is the Goal Zero Yeti 400, and when coupled with the accompanying solar panels, it can power and charge just about anything you have with in the field, and store up the juice to power your equipment at night! This unit is even powerful enough to power a television! But just in case you brought a road crew with you, and you have bigger needs (say a refrigerator), then the next model is for you.


This baby I call the "I thin I have a hernia" model. It weighs about 100 pounds, which for all intents and purposes would make impractical in the field. Except for one feature that is it's saving grace. This unit has wheels on the bottom, and a retractable handle so it's extremely easy to move around once it is unloaded from your vehicle. Just make sure that you have one of the "Expendables" around to lift the darn thing.

I myself, being a better thinker than lifter, purchased the Yeti 400 and 2 of the 15" solar panel components that go with it. I was looking for a way to power my smaller sound board and wireless microphone unit while videotaping in the field, and this fits all of my requirements. As a member of MUFON, I am always talking to people about alternative energy ideas, and new technologies that can help improve the human condition everywhere. Solar power units like this are affordable, lightweight, and provide a clean power source for people who might be in a remote location, anywhere in the world!

I hope this weeks "Special Edition" was informative, and enjoyable. It's not very often that I put what I had planned on "hold" for something else, but I was so impressed with both of these products that I felt it would be worth it...I hope you do too!

Don't forget to subscribe, share, like, and post everywhere (please!), but above all else, come back next week for more!



1 comment:

  1. please remember that drone flights should be noted with the FAA as drones fall under the same rules as normal aircraft.

    ReplyDelete