Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Issue #6 The Tools You Can't Buy

In this issue I'm going to talk about a particular sighting I'm researching, and the way that I uncovered certain facts in the case.

I live in San Luis Obispo, California, and it's a small town of only about 12.9 sq. mi. at an elevation of 233 feet. One of our most prominent features is a chain of volcanic plugs that stretches towards Morro Bay known as the "Nine Sisters", or the Morros.

On July 7, 1967, a UFO was photographed somewhere over San Luis Obispo. The picture appears online in many collections of old UFO photographs, but no information is ever given along with the photograph.






After a lot of searching, I ran across this copy of the same photograph. I also was able to find out, that it was part of a Project Bluebook investigation, file #11864, which consisted of 17  pages, only five of which were declassified!

Okay so that left me knowing that it was a valid case, but I still had no idea where it occurred, or  who had taken the pictures. I thought maybe a trip to the San Luis Obispo Historical Museum might shed some answers.

The people I met with there were very nice, however they had not ever heard of the sighting before I walked in and showed them the pictures. Needless to say they were amazed and very curious about the subject by the time I left. They did provide me with a clue to follow up on at the local library, so I thanked them for their time and promised to let them know what I find out.

Here's where serendipity came in to play. My wife had come with me since she too had some business downtown. For those of you who don't personally know me, I can find the cheapest way to do just about anything, so when parking downtown I like to park in the high-rise parking structure because the first hour is free, so if I'm quick enough I don't have to pay to park! My wife wanted to read while I walked over to the museum, so I had to find a parking spot in the 5-level structure where there was enough light for her to read. We were on our way up to the roof when she spotted a space that had lots of light on the 3rd level, so I pulled in, parked, and left for the museum. When I came back I was wondering how I was going to find where the picture was taken from. Where I was parked I had a clear view out of the parking structure of Bishop Peak, and I couldn't believe what I was seeing! I quickly jumped back out of my van with my iPad, and looked back and forth from the picture on my tablet to the mountain in front of me. It was the same mountain, at the same angle! I never would have seen it if I hadn't parked right where I did! Synchronicity like that you just can't buy!

I'll end this weeks installment with two pictures I took of Bishop Peak from the downtown parking garage using the Theodolite App for iPad, which gives the relevant information to help match the location of this sighting. I 'll keep you all updated on my S.L.O. UFO research, and don't miss next weeks installment!







3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome!! Where were the trees and rock outcropping in the right foreground of the 1967 photo? Lady luck was definitely with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're still there, you just can't see them from the angle that is available from the parking garage.

    ReplyDelete