Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Issue #3 The iPad And You

The most used tool that I have is my iPad. I resisted buying one for years, and now I can't go a day without it. There are quite a few apps for the iPad that are perfect for investigations and I want to cover a few of them here today.


One of the best apps that I have on my iPad is called Theodolite.

As you can tell from the screenshot, there is all the information one might need in a very user-friendly interface. Any photographic evidence using this app would be pretty hard to dispute. Theodolite is available in the App Store. It was created by Hunter Research Technologies Inc. and is 
available for $4.99...well worth every penny.


The next app I'd like to recommend is called Stellarium. This app is recommended by MUFON and is available in the App Store. It is a free app, and it is invaluable for determining what is in the night sky. I have used it quite a bit to determine if something is a star or planet, and with my telescope to determine what else is in my viewing area.

SeeLevel is a great free app that serves as an inclinometer or level. It can also be used to measure distances, and is also available in the App Store.

Triangulex is the perfect app for either triangulating the position of an object or place. Simply place the cross-hairs on a distant landmark, then on the object or area in question. It couldn't be easier.Triangulex is also a free app available in the App Store.

Of course there are too many apps to cover all of them here, but a search through the App Store will find many tools that will be indispensable to you once you learn to use them.

Besides all the great apps, the iPad does everything that a laptop can do. From Skypeing in the field to taking field notes, this is the one tool I don't want to go out in the field without!

I hope this weeks installment is helpful and inspires people to find out how useful the iPad can be in the field. Don't forget to share this with others and PLEASE subscribe/follow! See you all next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment