Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Issue #4 My Field Kit

Now that we have covered some of the basics, let's take a look at what I personally carry with me into the field. Not everyone will feel the need to carry everything I do, but my philosophy is that it's always best to be prepared for anything.

Let's take a look at the evidence kit first.

This is the evidence kit available from MUFON, and it can be ordered on our website in the store. I augmented it with an L-scale that I ordered from a C.S.I. supply warehouse, and some waterproof index cards that I got from the local Army surplus store Camp and Pack here in S.L.O., along with a waterproof pen (not shown). It includes a bag of arrowstone for taking casts, which is a lot better to work with than plaster of paris. It also comes with a variety of sample containers and evidence bags, and tamper-proof evidence seals.



This is the gear that I keep in an extra crate, and take with me as needed. Most of the evidence kit I keep in a nice, small-sized watertight case, 
and keep it stored in my closet until needed. I don't recommend keeping any of your equipment in your vehicle all the time. The heat isn't good for most items, and some of the stuff is rather pricey if you have to replace it due to someone breaking in your car! Notice next to the caution tape I also have a roll of "Danger" tape. Some people aren't stopped by the word "Caution". I find "Danger" works better.


When I leave my vehicle in the field, if it's not on my back it's in my duffel or evidence kit.


Extra items are carried in my "Alice Pack", also from S.L.O. Camp and Pack. It includes a tent that can be set up in seconds in case of sudden 
bad weather, that is big enough for two people and their gear, a sleeping bag rated at 27 degrees with a liner that's good for another 10 degrees, camp shovel, machete, 2,000,000 candle power spotlight, full face shield, and a welders helmet (if something is too bright to see you'll be glad you have it).

This brings us to the last, and one of the most important items...radios.


Communications in the field can be of utmost importance, so it's important that you have reliable radios that you can trust. Mine have a 36 mile range, but keep in mind that range is dependent on "line-of-sight". Anything in the way such as hills or buildings will drastically cut down the distance you can talk, so in some instances you might need to have a person in a "relay" position. I also prefer to use the headsets so my hands are free. They can be set for either VOX or PTT.

I hope this weeks installment was useful! Please share with all your friends, and subscribe or follow! If you email me, I can even make sure it comes to your inbox! See you next week...enjoy!






1 comment:


  1. Wow I like this. wanderfull good information and usefull bags post.Thanks for share this post

    tamper proof bags suppliers in Delhi

    ReplyDelete